Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Example - Making a challenging model printable.

This is just an example how a challenging model for 3D printing was modified to make it printable. It might spark some ideas next time you run into a challenging model to print.

First off, thank you to Landru who modified this model to make it easily printable and to post it on Thingiverse for everybody:   -  Nice.

As you can see, this model as it is would not be printable without a lot of support structure, and even then, would most likely not come out very clean.

To solve this the model was modified and split into two pieces.
Chamfers were added to many features to minimize overhangs.

Part 1:

Part 2:
Holes for alignment pins were also designed into each half of the model.
Just in case, I added little "helper disks" under the thin ends of the wings for more print bed adhesion surface to prevent any part pull up and warping. I usually don't design the helper pads into the model, instead add them when setting up the model in the CubeX software for creating the build file. (see other post about "helper pads" and download. Helper disks zip file
Note: I would print one part at a time. Seem to get better results that way and minimize possible strings between parts when the print jet moves from one to the other part.

Both parts printed very nice. 0.25 Resolution, medium fill, PLA natural, no raft, no support, with added helper pads.
I just had to cut off the helper pads, insert the alignment pins and add a few drops of superglue to hold both parts together. (I used spring pins and pushed them into place with the tip of a hot soldering iron. That melted them right into place).
Printed model assembled:
Size: W: 4.2", H: 3.0", D: 5.25"


1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.